Monday, November 14, 2011

She's crafty

I don't know what it is about becoming a mom but I'm suddenly into all these "mom things.". On Wednesday I'm going to my first "stitch and bitch" party so I can learn how to knit.  And yesterday I got it into my head that I'm going to try making the curtains for JC's room!  I haven't sewn anything since I made a summer dress when I was in my teens, but I'm doing something really basic (using sew on hem tape and hopefully sewing the seams next time I'm at my parents' place and can use my mom's sewing machine).  I was inspired by a blog entry on www.younghouselove.com, and there's something about having a child that all of a sudden spurs on this confidence in my ability to be domestic!  When I was looking or fabrics yesterday, there turned out to be a small remaining remnant, and now I have it in my head that I'm going to make a matching pillow for the glider!  If you knew me, you'd know that this is totally out of character.  I was like a bull in a china shop at the fabric store and had to go back to the cutting area three or four times.  First I only bought enough fabric for the large window and forgot the small one!  Then I bought the wrong type of piping (which I'm using for the ties).  When I got home I realized that what I thought was a perfect colour match was just off enough that it looks a bit weird.  But I don't care about any of this because I am a mom now and I can do this!  I'm even thinking of asking for a sewing machine for Christmas, but I actually don't think I want to wait that long and may just pick one up myself.  What a change!

It's funny though.  I have all this newfound confidence in my ability to tackle these projects but I haven't really thought through WHEN this is actually going to happen?  It's not like JC is going to be fine with me sticking him in his swing for a few hours while I gussy up his room.  Hmm, I'll have to think on that.

But one thing's for sure.  I was truly happy as I was driving home with my new purchases (I also bought a bunch of christmas stuff as this is the first year we're putting up our own tree (more on that to come)) and my beautiful baby was sleeping in his carseat.  I could get used to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment